Welcome to the second ever Social-Engineer.Org “RETURN of the Schmooze” Social Enginering CTF for Kids” at Defcon 20 registration page.
This contest is designed to use a blend of social skills, password cracking, ciphers, lock picking and good old fashion social engineering to accomplish each level of these tasks. Each task completed will move to the next task until the first two teams reach the end goal. The remaining teams may continue for fun.
Before you sign up, read the ALL THE RULES CAREFULLY.
The CTF Rules
- You have to be present at Defcon from Friday night to Sunday Afternoon to compete
- You have to willing to work on a team, maybe with some one you do not know
- Your parent or guardian must be present (Defcon or Social-Engineer.Org is not responsible for the supervision of your child, that is the responsibility of the parent/guardian)
- You should be willing to use your brain and stretch your limits
- The goal is to learn some new skills and show off your schmooze…. no cheating allowed
- You must be between the ages of 7-16
1st Place – A remote controlled Helicopter and one piece of kids spy gear, Winners Plaque and a spot on the Social-Engineer.org Podcast as well as a limited edition Social-Engineer.org Challenge Coin. (for each contestant on the team)
2nd Place – One piece of cool spy gear for kids, a 2nd place winners certificate and a limited edition Social-Engineer.Org Challenge Coin. (for each team member)
THE DO NOT LIST: The underlying idea of this contest is: No one gets victimized in the duration of this contest. Social Engineering skills can be demonstrated without engaging in unethical activities. The contest focuses on the skills of the contestant, not who does the most damage. Our goal is to raise awareness to the threat that social engineering poses and educate you in some skills that can take you very far in life. Items that are not allowed to be targeted at any point of the contest:
- 1) No cheating
- 2) Nothing that can get Social-Engineer.org, Defcon, or the participants in the contest sued
- 3) At no point are any techniques allowed to be used that would make a target feel as if they are “at risk” in any manner.
- 4) Use common sense, if something seems unethical – don’t do it. If you have questions, ask a judge
If at any point in the contest it appears that contestants are targeting anything on the “No” list, they will receive one warning. After the one warning they are disqualified from the contest.
- The “flags” will be custom list of specific bits of information, which you will have to discover during using ciphers, social engineering skills and ingenuity. This list will be presented to you on the day of the event.
ALL REGISTRANTS MUST BE ATTENDING DEFCON 20 Friday night to Sunday
Parents: By filling out this form you agree that you will receive a link for a $10 100% REFUNDED deposit to register your child. Why are we doing this? Last year we spent considerable sponsor dollars on T-Shirts and other schwag that went to waste due to no-shows. The deposit is a good faith statement that you promise to show with your child and you will get the $$ back when you do.
If you can comply with all the above and think you still have the skills to become the winning social engineer then register below:
(filling out this form does not guarantee that you will be chosen to participate in this years CTF)
This form MUST BE filled out by your parent or guardian!!